Homelessness and foster care in Portland and Maine in General

The stories I have heard describing paths into homelessness remind me of the kids I worked with at Youth Alternatives. Many had experienced neglect or abuse, sometimes by the people responsible for their care. When they reached adulthood, some suddenly lost access to housing, healthcare, counseling, and emotional support. For many, other young people in the system were the closest thing they had to a community. National research shows that roughly 22% to 30% of young people who age out of foster care experience homelessness during early adulthood. Foster care is primarily a state responsibility, but cities can still help. Portland can seek state and federal funding, coordinate housing and support services, and connect these young adults with employment, training, mentors, and a stable community before they end up alone on the streets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m running for Portland City Council to represent District 5 this November!

Affordable Housing

Homelessness, addiction, and mental health