Community-Based outreach teams to connect people in crisis with services
Much like other cities in the US, Portland has been experiencing a mental health crisis. The organization NAMI has been advocating for anyone experiencing a mental health or suicidal crisis and has had a great impact by providing specific types of care based on evidence based appoaches to care. Unfortunately NAMI's suggestions and findings do not have the favorable political optics required to help candidatetes win elections. I want to take the politics out of helping people who are experiencing mental health crises.
In order to accomplish this at a city council level, we need to listen to each other without judgment. While I've been knocking on doors and having conversations with my neighbors in District 5, I've come across a great deal of frustration with the way homelessness is dealt with in Portland. I've heard a range of strong feelings. Some people have said that they would do nothing and let their unhoused neighbors languish in the streets. Others feel that the city of Portland could do a lot more to find housing and treatment for these individuals. My platform strongly advocates for the second approach. That does not mean I don't listen to my neighbors who feel differently about this. From these conversations our community will figure out better approaches and make sure that everyone feels heard.
Comments
Post a Comment